Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Classified

Craigslist is such an institution, I find it hard to remember how we lived before it. I do remember searching for a place to live once before the net and how I had to get a Sunday paper on Saturday and madly start calling numbers for any potentially attractive place hoping to be able to talk with soeone before it disappeared. I think the housing market has relaxed a bit (I've owned my home for a while and not been forced to look for a rental since moving to the Boston area 6 years ago), but I know that when I was last searching for a car to buy I felt I had to log on a ton to make sure I was on top of the latest posts - I didn't want to miss anything. SO - while its great to have the classifieds so much more accesible and so easy to post when you want to sell something, I think its only increased my unease that perhaps if I was only more diligent in my searching I could find a better deal - how much shopping do I need to do? I don't like shopping in the first place and this seems to make it both easier and more complicated.....

Anyway, its here, so I have to deal - I don't see a better option, that's for sure. I've certainly benefited greatly from Craigslist and Freecycle - both finding things and getting rid of stuff. For grins I just tried searching Craigslist and Boston.com for an Alfa Romeo Spider (see picture below). Craigslist quickly found one on the north shore that just came out of dry long term storage and would be fun to buy (price unknown - I guess if you have to ask its too much?) if only I had the means (and was actually interested in driving such a tiny sports car - I should have looked for a classic VW bus). Boston.com? Well, once I got past all the adds and was treated like a fool having to pck from drop down menus, the search failed, then clearly pasted in a search from cars.com, which still hasn't returned anything.....

Here's a pic for eye candy:

No comments: